Monday, February 11, 2008

Stick a fork in'er!

Miss Enid is done and I couldn't be happier. Ok, I'll admit I haven't put on the buttons yet, but I don't really care, I still think of it as finished. And I now have a pretty sweet alpaca cardigan. Jealous?


Enid Cardigan by Veronik Avery
From Interweave Knits, Winter 2006

Yarn: A Touch of Twist Alpaca, sport weight in Black (from Rhinebeck) approx.1200 yards? I didn't quite use up all of the two hanks.
Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light 3 colors (wool/alpaca blend)
Blue Sky Alpaca Sport Weight (3 colors) (both yarns bought at Yarntopia)

I didn't quite go with the color scheme that I had laid out in an earlier post. But I like the way this turned out anyway. It's a modified bohus-style colorwork and I think the black sets off the colors very nicely. They really pop. The alpaca feels wonderful and while there are areas where gauge issues are apparent, for the most part the fabric looks really good. I was a bit worried about how it would hold up to steeking, but there doesn't seem to have been any problems.

This is my first steeked project, but I liked it so much that I quickly cast on for another from the same issue of Interweave. The crocheted reinforcement was probably a bit excessive on my part, but I really wanted to be sure. So the button bands tend to be a bit bulky where they cover the steek reinforcement.