Tuesday, March 25, 2008

100: These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

Whoa. That was quick. I can't believe I've had a hundred posts in less than a year. Whatever happened to quality over quantity, eh?

I tried to think of a fun way to mark this milestone, but it's difficult at best. But I had a bit of a brainwave this weekend and I thought I'd give you a bit of an insight into some of my favorite things.

Favorite Neighborhood Place
Heather Garden in Ft. Tryon Park


Great advice

I take more pictures in this park than anywhere else and this is definitely my favorite spot in my favorite park. I paid a visit here on Easter Sunday when I went out walking while the bread was rising. When I was in grad school, I'd take walks here in the morning before class when it would just be me and the little old ladies. Now that Spring has arrived, I like to follow the way that the garden changes from week to week. On Easter Sunday, the sheets of ice on the rocks were rapidly thawing and the crocuses and heather were blooming as well as some violets.


The sheet of ice cracked and fell
immediately after I took this shot.
Take that, Winter!



The daffodils and forsythias (which for some reason I always called "forcynthias" when I was little) are just about to bloom meaning next weekend is sure to be a sight.


Forcythias, Daffodils, Crocus

From the garden you can look out onto a really spectacular view of the Hudson River and the George Washington Bridge.


Hey there, Big Fella

I've noticed that the Gay Recluse is not the only one with a bit of an obsession for that particular structure. The pathways in Ft. Tryon were designed so that they are never straight and as you walk the view changes subtly as new vistas open up between the trees. The only time I'm grateful there are no leaves is when it let's me take a picture like this. I feel like the bare branches nicely mimic the support trusses of the bridge.


Can you believe they ever wanted to clad this in stone???

Favorite Dishware
Pantone Bowls from Fishs Eddy (and they're on sale!)



This pattern combines my love of dishware and my love of paint colors in one adorable package. I also have the bowl in blue, but I keep it at work. Actually, ANYTHING from Fishs Eddy could qualify as a favorite thing. My sugarbowl is in the 212 NYC skyline pattern. I've given the Democrat and Republican glasses as gifts to Knitter Jenn in DC. The hula girl pattern to Cousin Jess. Vintage dishes to coworkers (apparently only available in the store). And I'm especially covetous of these new floorplan plates. The penthouse platter is probably the closest I'll ever get to the real thing.

Favorite Lotion
Crabtree and Evelyn Gardener's Hand Therapy



I have the pump above sitting on my desk at work. Somehow, despite the extreme anti-social vibes I emit, people still manage to visit my cube for a squirt of the stuff. I can't really blame them. It smells delightful and it is simply amazing for the hands. Um and I got it for free because Dad attends golf fund raisers where he gets swag bags. Apparently he is not a fan of lotion?

Favorite Shoes
Sofft Serena in Aubergine



Sofft's shoes are super comfy and super cute. They're typically tucked away with all the hush puppies, aerosoles and naturalizers in the "comfort" shoe section at Macy's which is in no man's land on the fourth floor behind dresses. I mean, come on, aubergine suede with patent leather trim and an adorable little flower? Precious! And I got these on sale... 60% off!

Favorite Place to Sit and Think
Sand Dunes on LBI



It doesn't matter if it's post-hurricane or on a warm sunny day or at night with a glass of wine.

I'm sure I've just verified multiple items on Stuff White People Like (#9 Making You Feel Bad for Not Going Outside, #24 Wine, #26 Manhattan, #49 Vintage, #51 Living by Water, #54 Kitchen Gadgets?, #73 Gentrification, #84 Graduate School), but honestly I do love all these things, and I am, in fact, a white person.

What are your favorite things?