Sunday, September 30, 2007

Socktoberfest

I've decided to participate in Socktoberfest this year. I have been collecting quite a few sock yarns with the intent on producing a bunch of socks for Christmas gifts. Problem is there has been more collecting than producing going on at Chez Colorworks. I think I finally made some headway though by casting on for Charade. Except that those socks are for... um... me.

So my goal for Socktoberfest is to knit socks for others. This will also be a stash-busting exercise as well as an exercise in selfless knitting. I'm not trying to go for difficult patterns or techniques, just nice socks.

Currently in my stash:

1 skein Knit Picks Memories in Cape Cod Colorway
1 skein Yarn Pirate Merino Sock in Sierra









1 skein South West Trading Co. Tofutsi in a red/white colorway
2 skeins Koigu KPM in 2329 (light blue/purple) colorway - currently in use for Charade










2 skeins Zitron Lifestyle in a pink self-striping pattern (no pic yet)

So here's hoping that all goes well on the sock front. I know I'm going to pick up some other sock yarns in the near future because there are certain colors I want to get for specific gifts, including a pair of socks for my little bro, who (horror of horrors!) got his driver's license on Friday.

As for the Charades, I'm enjoying this pattern very much. I had some issues early on because the herringbone rib says it's in multiples of 4 and yet I was doing it with 5 stitches. Turns out that the YO method is different than the one I was using from Stitch n' Bitch. I figured it out though after a little experimentation and searching of the internet and all is proceeding smoothly. This is also my first attempt at 2 socks on 2 circs and I think I've mastered it to the point that I'm not getting all tangled or using the wrong needle and getting hopelessly confused.