Thursday, January 10, 2008

Knitting with Scissors?

I hope that there was a really good reason that Enid was given that name because honestly, I don't think it does her justice. (Maybe it was someone's favorite aunt? I certainly hope so.) I'm sitting here, looking at pictures of the work in progress just marvelling at how beautiful the stockinette stitch looks on the sleeves. Do I credit the yarn or my own not insubstantial innate abilities^? I don't know, but either way I'm beginning to understand what the Harlot talks about when she describes how beautiful knitting can make her fear she's becoming simple. I mean, look at this:


click for BIG

I just want to curl up on the couch with this sweater and never move from my seat. I'm a half inch away from starting the colorwork and I swore I would hold off posting until I had something that was not a big black blob to show, but the sight of those neat little v's just made it impossible. I mean look at them! Precious! The yarn is a delight to work with but, as is typical with alpaca, it shows up mistakes pretty glaringly. There have been a few mistakes, mainly of the tension variety, and even though I've tried to fix them, it doesn't look quite right. Also, I have to confess that I'm a bit worried about the prospect of steeking. But Dona promised to hold my hand through the entire process, and it's still a ways off yet so we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

As if the prospect of taking scissors to one big knitting project wasn't enough, this arrived today (or possibly yesterday. The box was sitting in the conference room and someone neglected to inform me that a big box of yarn had showed up with my name on it until I saw it there at lunch):



It's the Kauni yarn from Webs. That'll be turned into Venezia (Ravelry link).

Yeah, I'm out of my mind.

^sarcasm indicator