Wednesday, January 30, 2008

There has been knitting!

I know it's been a bit quiet here at Chez Colorworks, but I swear it's not for lack of knitting.

You may remember my incredibly detailed, possibly foolhardy list of goals for 2008? Well I'm happy to say that 2/3 of the January goals have been accomplished as you can see in the progress bar widget over there on the right. But that ever elusive 3rd goal, is also unfortunately still visible. I don't think Enid will be done by tomorrow evening. (It is the Lost premiere afterall) I'm currently working on the buttonbands and made good progress at last night's SnB, but alas, not enough.

Steeking last Tuesday was the most awesome and liberating thing. I know many people who have steeked say that, but it's true. It's a heck of a lot of fun as long as nothing goes wrong, which thankfully was the case with my first attempt. I did a crochet reinforcement but realized once I was about to cut that I had not reinforced all of the floats in the colorwork section, so I decided to go back and give them a little help, just in case. They probably would've been ok as is, but I really was not in a mood to leave anything to chance. The only snafu involved the hem detail at the bottom which was not perfectly aligned and so I had one stitch that crossed the steek line. I just was extra careful cutting that area, and then secured the stitch to the correct side of the steek opening before cutting it loose. (I'm happy to say that Venezia, which starts with a similar hem detail using a provisional cast on, has a much better way of making sure this doesn't happen.)

I know what you're thinking, "Wow, wouldn't pictures help me to visualize all this better?" You're so wise. Of course it would've helped if my camera had accompanied me to Yarntopia instead of staying to work late in the office. Luckily Heidi obliged with her camera phone and captured the cutting and the lamaze-style breathing that kept me from totally passing out. (Ravelry link)

I've got a fun-filled weekend ahead of me, so no idea when I'll be able to wrap things up on Enid. Between my birthday party on Saturday, a Yarntopia sale, and the biggest game of the year for my G-men on Sunday, this is going to be one jam-packed weekend of fun.