Monday, July 16, 2007

Bohus

Wendy Keele's Poems of Color has been sitting on my desk here at work for about a week. I leave it there so that whenever I'm desperate for something to distract me, I can open it up and stare longingly at that beautiful colorwork.



I confess I had no idea what this type of knitting was called until the Harlot wore her Guld Bohus to the Represent event at FIT in March. So pretty, it makes me want to weep.

I'm pondering this as my next big project. Premature? Hush, we shall not discuss the numerous UFOs currently taunting me. It's not my fault if you're all unappealing to me at this moment in time because you're:

a) not for me (Fair Isle Kid Cardigan)
b) hefty and cabley and very much a boring solid color (That's right. I'm talking to you, Blaze)
c) hefty and cabley and very much a boring solid color and so old I can't remember why I ever thought you were interesting (cabled blanket)

Only my knee socks are at all appealing right now. Could it be because they're tiny and portable enough so that I can knit on the train? Could it be because they're stripey in all kinds of weird wonky ways? Could it be because of my schoolgirl fetish for knee socks? Could it be because just the name "Cape Cod" gives me warm and fuzzy memories? Perhaps it is all of these things. But they will soon be done and that means I want another eye/brain/hand candy project to keep me glued to my needles.



This leads me to a dilemma (or actually two dilemmas):
1. What kind of yarn to use?
2. Where to find a suitable yarn?

I have been all over the internet (in the absence of my knitting books, which are currently packed away until a post-July 20th time when they will be accessible once more) looking for a source of angora/wool blends. Harder than one might think actually.

Then, since it's been so difficult to locate angora/wool blends, I've been trying to determine whether there are any substitutions that will give me similar results. What are the characteristics of the way the yarns behave that might make them good/bad for use in a sweater like a bohus. Do I really want shedding angora fuzz all over me anyway?

Another problem is that I would like to have the colors readily accessible so I can experiment with color combinations. I don't want a kit because, for me anyway, that takes a lot of the fun out of it. Between the Yarn Harlot's bohus and the fantom bohus over at Hello Yarn, I just can't get these sweaters out of my head! Not that I'm complaining, mind you. It's a particularly sweet form of torture to think about nothing but beautiful knitwear all day.

So what to do??? Do I:
a) wait for Rhinebeck in October?


or b) try to find yarn elsewhere?