Friday, July 13, 2007

Knitting Article in The Times

Here.

While I consider my knitting far, FAR from some of the chic stuff described in this article and really don't particularly aspire for it to be chic, anyway (I'm a simple girl!), I think the article makes some really interesting points that, for knitters anyway, won't come as much of a surprise. We've been saying these things all along. But one of the points which I've heard so many times really speaks to me: the idea that in an increasingly hands-off (hands-free?) world, knitting gives us something low-tech and physical that connects us with our own brains and with other people. Does that make it ironic that knitters seem to be so tech oriented? What with Etsy, blogs, online newsletters, and now Ravelry there's an awful lot of technology that revolves around a craft. Kind of exciting really. It makes me feel like knitters are certainly very interesting people with a lot of tools at their disposal. (Not that I ever doubted that before ;) )