Friday, August 31, 2007

It's Official: Big Red Is the Coolest Sweater Coat EVER!

So I was holding off on posting until I felt that I had good pictures to post and some good updates that people might actually be interested in. And um, yeah... today is going to be a whole lotta pictures and updates.

So now for the big (red) reveal:

Good grief my hair looks horrendous, but oh my that sweater with a skirt is delightful!

Tilted Duster by Norah Gaughan
From Interweave Knits Fall 2007

Yarn: Cascade 220
Colorway: 2401 (Dark Red)

Size: 36"
Yardage: All of 5 Skeins with about a yard left over! So 1099 yards!
Notions: 2 Very cute buttons, 2 plain boring buttons

This is what the lovely Big Red looks like now that she's been washed, blocked, seamed, and had her ends woven in. I may want to adjust the button placement slightly (I think this is what makes some of the dusters on Ravelry hang open too much across the bust) so that's why you still see some loose ends at the collar.



What did this project teach me? Many things, my friends. Like the fact that blocking is the best thing EVER. Or than it is common for dark red yarns to bleed (although the proper way to stop this from happening still eludes me). Or that making up techniques is not the answer (Consult your pattern or handy copy Stitch n' Bitch, damnit!). Or the fact that Norah Gaughan is a goddess (Thank you Norah for designing fun stuff!). This sweater looks great and will be so much fun to wear. Especially to Rhinebeck! YAY!