Monday, August 6, 2007

SP11 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I've noticed that I have knit almost exclusively in wool (and wool blends and some alpaca). I would really like to try some different fibers to see what all the fuss is about ;) But I lurve Lorna's Laces.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
As in organized? Ha! Any unused needles are currently jumbled together in a bag in one of my stash storage boxes.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting since my sophomore year of college (about 7 years). A friend who was in the Residence Hall Association with me ran a program teaching people to knit. She couldn't believe how fast I picked it up and I've been pretty much knitting ever since with some brief breaks.

I'd consider myself an intermediate level knitter but even as I write that I laugh at how mediocre most of my FOs have turned out to be. Beginner-Intermediate then? Since starting this blog I've been improving though, so I guess that's good :) I feel like there's so much I have yet to learn that achieving "advanced status" is impossible!

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I do have an Amazon wish list! Which reminds me I need to update it.
My Amazon.com Wish List

5. What's your favorite scent?
Fresh baked goods, lilacs, lavender... wow this is a surprisingly hard one. My fave perfumes are Estee Lauder Pleasures (which I wear) and Estee Lauder Youth Dew (which my mom wore)

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I most certainly do have a sweet tooth. I look forward to my coworkers going on vacation so that they will bring back candy treats. I never met a chocolate I didn't like and I'm starting to get into funky flavored high-end chocolates, but I will always have special places in my heart for nestle crunch, 100 Grands, and Reese's PB cups. :)

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
Knitting is pretty much it. Although I do draw and paint on occasion and am trying to do some photography. I'm thinking I want to try spinning, but am a little nervous about it.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like pretty much any music except rap, heavy metal and most country music. As a Jersey girl, anything involving Bruce or Jon Bon is heavily in the rotation, but jam bands, folk music, classic rock in general is the way I go. And yes I am MP3 capable.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I'm definitely a blue/green person. Must be the Pisces in me. I am not a big pink person. I don't wear it and I don't own many things that are pink.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live in an apartment with 2 roommates, one of whom is allergic to dogs/cats, so alas, no pets for me. At least, not until I get my own place. :)

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Most certainly (excepting ponchos)! I live in NYC and the weather does tend to veer towards the colder range of the thermometer for about 1/2-1/3 of the year (global warming notwithstanding). Like many knitters, my scarf collection is extensive.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Wow, tough. I just recently tried socks for the first time (toe-ups). That was fun. But I'm not at all particular. I guess I prefer smaller things. And since I don't have many babies in my life, there is very little kid-sized knitting going on. But I think socks as a portable knitting item are going to become my go-to items. I like creative things and I also really like top down sweaters.

13. What are you knitting right now?
The Tilted Duster from IK Fall '07, the long-suffering Blaze from Knitty, and a Kid's Fair Isle Cardigan that has completely stalled

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
If they're cool ;) Don't have much need for knitted toaster covers, but fun stuff is always appreciated. Actually come to think of it... a knitted toaster cover might be pretty freakin cool.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I really like circs. DPNs and I do not mix due to the whole subway commute thing. I try to avoid poking my neighbors with sharp pointy sticks unless they invade my personal space, then all bets are off.

In terms of materials I like bamboo and aluminum. As in most things, it really depends on the project.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I do not! But winding balls of yarn by hand is a kind of mindless activity that gives me great joy. I actually have an unnatural fondness for detangling knots.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Oh you mean the cabled blanket. I would say it's at about 6 years. I should just frog it and move on.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Toss up between Christmas and Thanksgiving. But any time there is food and my family in one place it's sure to be a great time.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
I collect vintage paint catalogs primarily from the 1920s and 1930s. Esoteric, I know. But it happens to coincide with one of my favorite research topics. I even wrote my graduate thesis on them and will be presenting a related paper at a conference in January.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Oh gosh, this is almost impossible to answer! I have no willpower when it comes to buying stuff I want. I really want to try some sea silk and Handmaiden yarns. I also can't believe I have yet to try some Manos del Uruguay. There are loads of patterns out there I have yet to acquire. I subscribe to Interweave Knits.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I have yet to try lace knitting. That's on my agenda. And I'm dying to make Eunny Jang's Entrelac socks and the Lady Eleanor Stole so Entrelac is up there as well.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am now. Measurements eh? Small feet... um a size 7 shoe. I'll have to get out my tape measure and get back to you :)

23. When is your birthday?
February 20th

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
I am! JKPenny